About Me

My photo
We are an English speaking community of ATMA English Course's students. We learn and practice our English while gaining knowledge and cultural understanding from all our new friends all over the world.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Surabaya Anniversary - Culture and Flower Parade

The antique bicycle parade 

Surabaya celebrates its anniversary on 31 May. This year, Surabaya celebrates its 718th anniversary.  Every year the city municipality held many celebrations such as shopping festival, competitions, fun walk, and fun bike.  One of the annual events is the Culture Parade and the Flower Parade. This year, the parade was held on Sunday 8 May 2011, started at the city's monument "Tugu Pahlawan" and finished at the city hall park - Taman Surya.The vice city major himself, Drs. Bambang D.H, M.Pd opened the parade.
an enthusiastic veteran



Pancasila, the symbol of the nation
For this year there were at least 69 participants from the government offices, organizations, universities, schools, and also private companies in Surabaya. Other participants from other cities also took place at the annual celebration. Participants from Jember, Flores, Sampang, Bangkalan, and Kota Waringin Timur of Kalimantan also performed their culture, music, and dance for Surabaya people who have been waiting for the Parade impatiently. 



Nice ship from PT. PAL
The Parade was opened by the outstanding performance marching band performance form the Naval Academy (Akademi Angkatan Laut) - which i missed but i know that it's great as i've seen on TV on their other performance. The crowd was flooding along the street of  Jl. Kramat Gantung – Jl. Gemblongan – Jl. Tunjungan – Jl. Gubernur Suryo – Jl. Yos Sudarso – Jl. Walikota Mustajab – Jl. Jaksa Agung Suprapto.


I was late to see the parade.  I missed for at least 20 participants. I had to find ways to get into the main street to be able to watch the parade.  It's a great parade since i love parade and carnival. Though the day was hot and there were many people along the street but I was so happy. Best of it was because of the DSLR camera i borrowed from a friend. I had opportunity to came close to the participants without being mooed or disturbed by the police officer or guards. Everybody thought I was a pro-photographer since i used semi-pro camera. 
I learnt one important lesson, "bring a pro-camera and you will get all the access" I could even sneaked inside the march just to get the best angle for my shots. I also asked some participants to act in front of my lens. I was helped a lot by the camera.

To me the parade was great since the participants did perform their best. They really entertained people and i love their enthusiasm to dance, yell, sing, and smile under the hot burning sun of Surabaya. I love the spirit of unity in diversity that Surabaya people have. They all greet enthusiastically for all participants, young and old, muslims or christian, they were all celebrating the city's birthday in a big brotherhood spirit.  Can't wait to have the parade again for next year.




Twins in Surabaya traditional costume, the ladies and their groups are from Gaman (Gerakan Anak Muda Anti Narkoba)


The crowd
The fanatic supporters of the local team "Persebaya"

(Silvana)


4 comments:

  1. Wow, the wonderful parade in Surabaya .
    There are many participant in this event and thousand people see the beautiful culture in here until make crowded Surabaya city .
    Last year I want to see this parade but I'm late, so I can not see this event because road for this parade was closed . I'm sad can not go there . I hope this year I can see yhis parade . I love it and like with all of participants in this events .
    Wish in this year this event can be held again to celebrate Surabaya Anniversary and more wonderful than last year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rahma I think not just Surabaya have a wonderful parade but in Indonesia have many culture and parade.Example: Bali, Yogya. and many more...
    But now our culture had been stolen by other countries,,
    So I hope with this parade we will keep our culture,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. honestly , i never go to the parade although that is in surabaya . from the article above, i can conclude that it will be nice moment if you join the parade.. Harizz, i agree with your opinion , we must perform our culture and keep it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. parade:peoples take walk for celebrate
    i always enjoy....
    yya...aha ("_")

    ReplyDelete